TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - As a college kid myself, who saved every penny (nearly) for
People Seeking Info

Subject As a college kid myself, who saved every penny (nearly) for

Posted by J-Mart on July 08, 2010 at 6:05 PM
  This message has been viewed 290 times.

In Reply To Here she is. posted by bang jovi on July 07, 2010 at 09:38 PM

Message 300zx starting at the age of 15, don't spend it on the Z. I did, and I regret it. I have A LOT of money rolled up in my Z (10s of thousands) and currently the most I have to show for it is a $100 front plate violation ticket.

That isn't really entirely true, I had a lot of great memories building the car with my dad and friends. I also learned a lot through the process. I wouldn't say I regret it, but I think I could have made more use of the funds/time.

Building the Z "myself" while in school definitely caused my grades to slip. In fact, I dropped a few classes with the Z build being a contributing factor. Now I will be in school longer than I planned and budgeted for. Not the end of the world given the economy and the projects I am involved with at school (captain of our Formula SAE team - [ www.formulabuckeyes.com ] ). But none the less, a factor you should consider.

Also, having a fast street car really doesn't mean jack shit. I am responsible and don't street race or do stupid shit, 10mph over the speed limit is unusual for me. So me building a 500-700HP car was, in hindsight, pointless. I won't drag it, won't autoX it, won't street race it, and could care less about dyno sheets. At the time I was building it, I got caught up in the "I won't be able to buy horsepower any cheaper" mindset when comparing mods. For instance, 530BB vs 700BB's - not a big price difference, but puts power at a different "level".

Also, most people who recognize that the car isn't stock are tools in civic si's that blurp their fart pipes at me, or middle aged men in C5 vettes that are likely to be compensating for something... Not really people I give two shit's to be talking cars with.

As for friends, they love riding it. But I can only take one with me. And the gas mileage is terrible, but i expected that. As for girls, in my personal experience, they don't care I drive a Z at all. Most think its loud, but looks good. They also don't care about motorcycles either. In fact, I picked up the most girls in my lifted 1980 Jeep CJ5 for whats that worth...

Wow, that turned into a rant. Nutshell: Drive an NA, just as cool to anyone who doesn't own a TT. TT owners are the only ones who will "maybe" look down on you.

Jared
1994 Twin Turbo

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.